Looking for money for college? Click to view a compilation of scholarships available to students of color. Eligibility requirements and deadlines are included.
Portland Housing Center works one-on-one with first-time home buyers to assist them with the homebuying process. Two programs are offered to home buyers at various income levels:
- The American Dream Downpayment Initiative allows eligible, first-time buyers to receive up to $10,000 in a zero interest deferred loan that can be used for closing costs or down payment. The loan is not due until the house is sold or refinanced.
- If buyers are currently saving money to purchase their first home, the United Way IDA program can help them save even more. For every dollar saved, the IDA program will match it with three additional dollars.
To take advantage of these two programs and other services offered by the Portland Housing Center, first time buyers are invited to attend a free home ownership orientation session. Orientations are held the first three Wednesdays of each month from 6 to 7 p.m. No registration necessary.
Participants are encouraged to bring information about gross household income and $50 to sign-up for home buying services. Scheduled sessions for March - April includes: March 7, 14, 21, and April 4, 11, 18. The Portland Housing Center is located at 3233 NE Sandy Boulevard. For more information call 503-282-7744 x101.
April 15 is right around the corner. If you need help with preparing taxes, volunteers from the AARP Tax-Aide Program can help. Free tax help is available at various locations throughout Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties. To find an AARP Tax-Aide site close to you and for a list of forms and documents to bring call toll-free 888-AARP-NOW (888-227-7669) or visit the AARP Tax-Aide web site.
Portland Habitat for Humanity offers affordable homeownership opportunities to needy families who have steady income and good credit histories. U.S. citizens or residents are eligible. All participants must contribute 500 hours of “sweat equity.” Those who meet income requirements may qualify:
Attend an upcoming homeownership application meeting to learn more about the program. For more info, visit the Portland Habitat for Humanity web site or call 503-287-9529 ext. 22.
- Wednesday, March 21, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Kelly Elementary School, 9030 SE Cooper St.
- Saturday, March 24, 10:30 a.m. to noon at Concordia University, 2811 NE Holman, Luther Hall Room L121.
- Sunday, March 25, 4:30 to 6 p.m., also at Concordia University.